Rumors have been circulating on social media about the whereabouts of the money collected since the early days of the occupation.
Mansfield took to Facebook on March 8 to respond to the rumours: “Just to clarify and get this story straight, obviously the convoy and occupation of parliament which I helped fund with my own money. For anyone who knows personally, can support me there.
“So I helped sponsor and donate to the convoy. I didn’t steal any money. I didn’t use any money,” he claimed in the livestream.
RNZ has spoken to people who knew Mansfield personally and they say he has a long history of leaving people out of pocket.
“An exceptionally bad tenant” – landlord
One such person was the landlord who took Mansfield to tenancy court and ultimately had him evicted for unpaid rent and bills and property damage.
He told RNZ he had still not seen the balance of the money owed to him by Mansfield.
“Jamie…was an exceptionally bad tenant who continually made promises he didn’t keep…I hope never to see him again,” said the landlord, whom RNZ agreed not to name.
The rental issues became clear almost as soon as Mansfield moved in, as he was behind with his rent for five of the first six weeks he lived in the rental and the arrears grew from there, the landlord said.
“I knew it was a bad egg from the start and I was like ‘What did I do letting this guy move into my house’ and then it was just a matter of following due process. to get him out.
“He left the place in an absolute mess. There was broken furniture and broken beds. I have pictures of a mountain full of rubbish that I had to drag out of the house and then find a business. .. pick it up for up to $300.
“He made no attempt to clean up after himself and just doesn’t pay much attention to others.”
RNZ again tried to contact Mansfield through his backup social media accounts to clarify how he became the one receiving donations, what aspects of his story he leaked to the Convoy group and to find out how much money was received. and how it was. used.
He did not respond to these messages.
Group raises over $60,000 by early March
Funding for the parliamentary protest and occupation remains murky.
A few weeks ago, RNZ asked Voices For Freedom and the Freedoms and Rights Coalition for information about their finances – they did not respond.
One group that gave insight into the huge sums of money involved was Profest.
Profest NZ Limited was incorporated on February 21 this year with Paul Currie as sole director and shareholder.
Profest’s website has publicly shown that it has raised over $20,000 in online donations in just a few days and raised over $66,000 as of March 4.
Currie, a Whangārei resident with business and property interests in New Zealand, said Profest was created to try to connect the disparate and sometimes different voices and movements at the protest.
He says he set it up because the occupation needed to be given “a little more format”.
Profest only started collecting donations more than a week after the occupation began.
“Profest was late to the play, more involved in directing some of the donations that came in, but was by no means the biggest – financially – fundraiser,” Currie told RNZ.
Unlike Voices For Freedom, The Freedoms and Rights Coalition or Jamie Mansfield, Currie spoke freely to RNZ and in a 38-minute chat provided details of how donations to Profest were spent.
He could not offer a definitive sum on how much money was raised between on-the-ground cash donations, online donations and BitCoin, however, he said the group was committed to providing a financial summary to all who made donations and that it would happen in “due time”.
Only a “nominal” sum remained of what had been donated and the accounts were still being settled, Currie said.
Some of the larger infrastructure costs and ongoing food costs of the protest were borne by Profest, Currie said.
He had not received any attendance fees or any compensation related to Profest NZ Ltd.
“I’m not here for personal financial gain,” Currie said.
When the protest ended, Profest stopped calling for donations and shut down the donation feature on its website, unlike Voices For Freedom and The Freedoms and Rights Coalition who were still collecting donations.
Currie also said he didn’t know who Jae Ratana or Jamie Mansfield was. He did not believe he had met him at the protest and he did not believe that Mansfield had contributed financially to Profest.
RNZ understands that a complaint has been made to the police regarding the whereabouts of the money given to Mansfield.
“While investigations are ongoing, we are unable to provide comment in relation to particular individuals/groups,” police said in a statement to RNZ.